DJRavine's Codebook:

[ADVERTISEMENT]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
[Runwow] About The Emulator
02-20-2007, 04:22 AM (This post was last modified: 07-21-2007 01:43 PM by DJRavine.)
There is not much info online...
So here is a collection...

Quote:There was a RunWoW it was being written by a group of Koreans (also based on RunUO) that one did give credit to RunUO as being its core, but Blizzard sent a legal letter to their government which suddenly made the project disapear (it was on their website for a while, that's how come I remember this) their website to my knowledge may still exist, but I doubt it. I am a member if the WowwoW community but I didn't mention anything there OR here cause I didn't want to step on anyones toes and the WowwoW project interested me at the time.
Quote:We [runou.com] owned RunWOW.com/net/org for a while. We dumped it due to the legal ramifications of creating a WOW software package.
Quote:RunWoW was cancelled, due to Blizzard's handling of emulators.
In this case, OSI is heads and shoulders above the rest in terms of tollerance.
Quote:If the dev team stop developing WoW emulator due to Blizzard's handling of emulators they should NOT consider it again with the latest news about it.

September 30, 2004
Dangerous Ruling Menaces Rights of Free Software Programmers
Contract and Copyright Trump Fair Use and Competition in BnetD Case

St. Louis - Fair use was dealt a harsh blow today in a Federal Court decision that held that programmers are not allowed to create free software designed to work with commercial products. At issue in the case was whether three software programmers who created the BnetD game server -- which interoperates with Blizzard video games online -- were in violation of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) and Blizzard Games' end user license agreement (EULA).

BnetD is an open source program that lets gamers play popular Blizzard titles like Warcraft with other gamers on servers that don't belong to Blizzard's Battle.net service. Blizzard argued that the programmers who wrote BnetD violated the DMCA's anti-circumvention provisions and that the programmers also violated several parts of Blizzard's EULA, including a section on reverse engineering.

The Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF), co-counsel for the defendants, argued that programming and distributing BnetD was fair use. The programmers reverse-engineered Battle.net purely to make their free product work with it, not to violate copyright.

EFF Staff Attorney Jason Schultz said, "Consumers have a right to choose where and when they want to use the products they buy. This ruling gives Blizzard the ability to force you to use their servers whether you want to or not. Copyright law was meant to promote competition and creative alternatives, not suppress them."

About RunUO:

The RunUO project was founded in August of 2002 by Krrios and Ryan. The server started out simply as an application to test Krrios's Ultima Online Client he was writing. It did basic packet work to allow him to simulate the EA Games server. The first notion of this program being successful came when we discovered how smooth the walking engine was. At the time no other emulator even had a close interpretation of the walking in your standard Ultima Online game. We decided if it was this easy to do walking how hard could the other aspects of the game be to complete?

Thus RunUO began. We quickly moved from walking and talking to the main skills having been implemented. In just over a year, 36 Beta releases with nearly 5,000 code changes or bug fixes. The RunUO team has delivered solid, stable releases to its community every time. How do we do this? We run a production shard that gets code updates before we release, therefore we test every piece of code before it goes into production and is released to the public. We live by the philosophy if we are going to send it out to you, we are going to use it also. We would never release something we weren't comfortable running and this has proven to provide a solid release every time.

The development cycles of RunUO began with swift major implementations and are now down to the fine tuning of the major subsystems and heading into a final release of the 1.0 series. This marks the first time that any group has come this close to creating an environment so closely matched to the one over one hundred thousand people pay to play today.

One of the large reasons for RunUO's initial success and continued success is without doubt its community. The community behind this project came to us in the beginning because we provided them with something they weren't used to. Attention and rapid development. We paid attention to the users needs within the community and focused on driving home a solid, stable, bug-free software package that would be the forerunner of Ultima Online server software. Our talented development team is unparalleled in this facet of software development and continues to stay up-to-date with the current releases of Ultima Online.[Image: runou_cog.gif]

The RunUO Team:

The RunUO Software Team consists of a group of individuals who provide guidance to an open community of developers. The RunUO Software Team officially consists of the following individuals:

Andre Sayre - (ASayre) - Bio
Bryan Pass - (Zippy) - Bio
Krrios - Bio
Mark Sturgill - (Mark) - Bio
Ryan McAdams - (Ryan) - Bio

The goal of the RunUO Software Team is to enable the community that makes up RunUO to be as successful as possible.

The RunUO team has collectively decided that we will be open sourcing RunUO's core to the public. At this point for the most part, the core is done and the only things remaining are game layer features. We have totally rewritten the networking piece of RunUO and Factions are pretty stable. We have completed a lot of the Ninja additions to UO and are ready to release the core code to the world.

RunUO has been closed source to control development and ensure that things got done in a manner that made RunUO successful. Since founding RunUO we have had nearly 40 releases, all with a major amount of work behind them. The next release will be Version 1.0.0, and it will be under an open source license. We have not chosen a license yet but as soon as we do we will let you guys know.

We have registered RunUO over at SourceForge (months back) in preparation for this, this is not something we just decided overnight, it was an original intention of the project. You can see the RunUO project on SourceForge at www.sf.net/projects/runuo although it doesn't have very much information right now.

We are very happy with the progress we have made with RunUO, we are also very happy with how well RunUO's community has developed. Sure we do have a few bad apples that think they can ruin things for us, but the fact is the good completely outweighs the bad here.

We all wanted to take the time to thank you, the community for our success. We hope that you enjoy the next release (and the releases to come). Thanks for all of the support!

Thanks,
Ryan (on behalf of the RunUO Team)

SOURCE: http://www.runuo.com/

[Image: DJRavine_userbar.gif]
[Image: djr_sig.png]
[Image: thedjravine.png]
"In a world of genocide... The pacifist must take control..." - DJRavine
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
02-21-2007, 06:50 AM
WOW.. Seems like a must get for any private server hosters
Find all posts by this user
02-21-2007, 09:43 AM
yes indeed..
but the subscription is $100 a month..
just for the RunUo Server..
then you have to develope the shard..

02-27-2007, 07:43 AM
Ouch! 100$
03-09-2007, 06:03 AM
for 100 $ one could play on an official server...I say lets crack their database

[Image: youarenotpreparedsi8.jpg]
Blizzard critically strikes you for $14.99. You die.
03-09-2007, 06:41 AM
I say why try to crack it? Just try to get everyone to shut up and help devolep MaNGOS so RunWoW would be like "Oh **** they kicked our asses emu lets release it for free."

Anger at lies lasts forever. Anger at truth can't last.
Greg Evans, Luann (comic), September 27, 2003
My body won't tell my mind what ive been thinking before its out of my mouth.
ITS A TRAP!
03-09-2007, 02:13 PM
appartently the scource for RunOU is freely available now...
so i dont think u need to pay the subscription..

03-10-2007, 04:57 AM
Problemo solvedo...

[Image: youarenotpreparedsi8.jpg]
Blizzard critically strikes you for $14.99. You die.
10-04-2007, 08:22 PM
Leaked RunWoW that you are trying to work on has nothing to do with RunUO and Koreans

http://www.runuo.com/forums/starbucks-ru...post513029

Quote:Greetings to everyone.
Just want to make some things clearer.
In nov. 2004 I've started WoW emulator development in C#. It was written from the scratch and main idea was the same as in RunUO - precompiled core launches script subsystem via CodeDom. It test name (internal one) was RunWoW. At that time I heard nothing about Ryan's RunWoW ideas.
During some time I've been using some parts of other emus (not wow ones), even from RunUO (ByteQueue, SendQueue, etc.) but in last year all of 'em were totally rewritten, mostly in MC++. Lately core was separated to some set of libs and utilities called RunServer platform (just another internal name).
Due to some reasons emu's name has not changed and current version is called RunWoW 0.16.1944a on RunServer platform.
It has nothing to do with Chinese (not Korean) Wowwow recompilation, that they also called RunWoW.
For some time I owed runwow.net, but is was dropped cause of financial problems [Image: smile.gif]

Ryan, I beg my pardon for using RunWoW name and Run^ prefix for my creations. Don't think I'll change it after 1.5 years of development, but I'm still confused.
10-05-2007, 01:45 AM
hmm... still a nice emu. And it still works well. The dev team is working on this and bringing it up to date.

----Visit my blog!-----
Alexander Justin Kerchum
UntoldWoW.com Owner/Admin

WoWps.org Moderator
MaNGOS Core||UntoldWoW Home

[Image: banner?size=2%26%number=1]
10-05-2007, 05:06 AM
thanx mate for clearing this up...
i always like learning the history of the code im working on... Wink

10-05-2007, 05:31 AM
Haven't you mentioned the name of that RunUO poster? )
You know, Ukraine is not as far from Europe as Korea - we have similar laws, shared patenting system. And currently I'm in process of licensing RunServer platform I developed..
I've asked DMZ and V1RUS to stop working on my leaked source and guys was kind enough and agreed with me that working on someone's else code is not fair. I spent three years to create RunWoW. And it is much more for me than just a program - just like a picture for a painter is much more than just mess of ink on the paper.
It is a matter of your understanding and respect of others work as a professional.
10-05-2007, 12:50 PM
Could we possibly work on this code with you? It is truly incredible!
Oh and congrats on making such a nice emu...

----Visit my blog!-----
Alexander Justin Kerchum

WoWps.org Moderator

10-05-2007, 06:11 PM
we will gladly help you out...
and we wont make our work public just yet...
but i highly doubt u can license this server..
as its already licensed by blizzard..
so good luck.. but ur chasing a pipe dream...
if you want us to work with you thats kewl..
as long as this goes public in the next few weeks...

10-05-2007, 09:41 PM
I'm working on making it perfectly 2.2 compatible but RunWoW is not like all emus Tongue (But it's possible, Opcodes are ok and chanel/chat will be up too very soon, after that I will work on scripts/externalscripts) Some parts of the code needs a rewrite or an optimisation anyways, do what you want but torgether we can do great things !
10-05-2007, 11:15 PM
I think that not so more people know truth about emu which was shared by DMZ. i don't want to tell all, but he isn't leaker.

you are make bad thing, trying to fix runwow. you are not good programmers, because real proggers NEVER will not make something with othe leaked programs. I had decompile leaked runwow and fix it alone ONLY on my computer. and I am doing it now. but I never will share my work and never will open public/provate server based on it. it was interesting to work with this Server (from big letter), but I started own server, which based on emu from another MMORPG. and I don't want to share it for this f*cking wow-community which can only leak and make something with this leaked servers.

sry for bad English, I'm from Russia.
Quote this message in a reply
10-06-2007, 12:19 AM
Well i am sorry if we strive to improve... Some of the best programmers in the world worked and learned from leaked content... If you don't like it then you can leave... in my opinion everything should be open source and every piece of software should be free. You come here and insult us without even knowing who we are or what we do... WELL I HAVE A PRETTY GOOD IDEA WHAT YOU ARE LIKE SO KNOW I AM GOING TO RAG ON YOU! YOU are a bad programmer because you don't share your source and you don't respect anyone elses wish... you are selfish and you keep your code to yourself... I entered this project and i thought it would be a good start to learn C#... then you come along and tell me that I am a bad programmer because i want to learn... LEAVE AND LEAVE US BE!!

Note to Admin: If you want to delete this then go ahead. This post does not neccessarily relfect the views of wowps.org or its members except Untold.

----Visit my blog!-----
Alexander Justin Kerchum

WoWps.org Moderator

10-06-2007, 01:03 AM
lol ? if you don't see I DIDN'T said that open source is bad... good programmers respect work of other programmers. you don't... well what about MY emu.. it's MY emu, and I will make with this all what I want. if I'll need help I'll share it. now it's unneeded.

you can delete my posts and ban me. but it's useless...
Quote this message in a reply
10-06-2007, 02:46 AM
V1RUS Wrote:lol ? if you don't see I DIDN'T said that open source is bad... good programmers respect work of other programmers. you don't... well what about MY emu.. it's MY emu, and I will make with this all what I want. if I'll need help I'll share it. now it's unneeded.

you can delete my posts and ban me. but it's useless...

The only non-respectful user here is you. We all know that you're Nomad's ass-kisser, and yes, just like in emupedia, you like to talk alot of bullshit.
So, if the emulation community is so fucked up I welcome you to create one of your own / leave the current one. I don't see how an untalented person like yourself can fined a place amongst us.

Few final words. YOU can shove YOUR emulator to YOU know WHO's ass.
And i'll be happy to lube it up for you :bowl:.

[Image: 426796image16mo1.jpg]
10-06-2007, 03:36 AM (This post was last modified: 10-06-2007 04:16 AM by DJRavine.)
HAHAH.. so know its VIR1S's emu now eh.. rofl..
i dont think you guys know who made it.. ROFL...
coz one person claims its their work.. then another...
so to all of you.. go jump..
we have now got a copy and are now working on it...
since you cant make up ur minds...

@V1RUS - i think ur a bad coder for calling ppl you have never meet bad coders...
im starting to dislike u already virus.. don't give me any more reasons..
lol...

and just to set the story straight..
if you guys [V1RUS/NOMAD] want to continue to work on it, fine...
but stop wasting our time and urs...
we are not claiming ur work as our own...
not once have we done that...
we are merely expanding ur work... making it better..
so.. stop having a teary about it being leaked...
if you such a good coder like u are trying to make us believe..
im sure u can improve the server faster than our team could.. Tongue
as the Aussie saying goes... "Shit or get off the pot..."

and as untold said.. u came to our forums.. and insult us...
do u really think we'll listen to you.. ?
not a smart plan of attack eh..?

and also.. u should know..
here at wowps.org we stand for freedom of information...
if you want a place that bans members for their work...
goto emupedia.. its a big boys club there..
im sure u'll fit in great... its a lame community.. lol
they love banning ppl regardless if they do good work or not..

10-06-2007, 06:03 AM
Very well put DJRavine... and like DJ said... I thought it was originally Nomads EMU! Oh and don't worry Nomad... we will put you in the credits for the original! rofl...
So guys don't have a hissy fit cause someone liked your work and wanted to build onto it... And you know what i would have Agreed to what nomad said if Virus didn't come along and make a dumbass fool of himself. So Blame him...

----Visit my blog!-----
Alexander Justin Kerchum

WoWps.org Moderator

10-06-2007, 04:09 PM
V1RU Wrote:I r ze v1urs , I'm 13eet coder, hacker I cracked W0we3mu, bewaere of me or /me hacks you r computr (OOPS BOLD :|). Run W0w is MINE !!!@1 21!!!! i R the Uber coder yOU are So fuAked Awp.

Sawrry for mai engleesh, Aye Am Ruzian !311!!!!oneone!@!

Man ... no words.

10-06-2007, 06:19 PM
V1RUS is not a member of my team and not my man at all. You just don't understand what he want to say cause of language problems.

RunWoW is developed only by me and I spent three years on it. Three years, every day and sometimes on the nights. Million lines of code, months of debugging, thousands of unsatisfied players. And all that - not for profit but just for myself. For the Art.. Transferred do man-hours it about 5000 working hours that is more that 50k $ in my country for skilled programmer.
Now it is separated from the core (RunServer.*) and core has nothing to do with WoW or Blizzard so it is in process of licensing now.
You are telling that you are going to improve my work and that "information should be free" but what if I just don't want my work to be improved by someone? As a said above - it is like a picture for the painter. What painter could want his picture to be drown by someone?
If you what to work on it, study it or write your own emu on own core using my scripts as a reference - please appreciate my wish to keep it as private as it possible: no releases, no open SVN, no licensed code leaks.

I'm not threatening you but just asking to respect my work.
Thank you in advance.
10-06-2007, 07:56 PM
We aren't TELLING we are going to improve it, but we are ASKING also for it. I bet we would all be honored to work with you together, to get RunWoW really working. Wink
10-06-2007, 08:48 PM
You know, it is really working and working somewhat better than any other emu. Some time ago I made a crash-test on 2000+ online and is was working perfectly even with 300 more players in queue.
I Will make it better and I'll be improving it until the day then WoW became obsolete and unneeded. But I'll do it myself. Thank you for your offer but I'd never accept "help" that is offered with the force.
10-06-2007, 09:24 PM
Nomad, I understand that Runwow & Runserver is your Work, it's awsome and not comparable to any other emu (Ok, by that I don't say better, just very different, habitually emus are in the stormcraft style, like wowd, mangos, ascent...) You are a great coder, I like your concept, I understand the emulator, how it work... It's the easiest emulator I never seen, yes, for changing things like the rewrite of channel this is kinda hell but for adding a command, an ai, a function... I Learned alot of that, I learned that there is, somewhere in the world, somebody know how to be a code artist for world of warcraft. Runwow is an art because the concept i different, it work differently and I never seen someting like that.

I understand you, but I wont stop to dev it... Why ? Because it's an art like a paint, when I work on it I have the honor to work on something that is for me, the graal, of emulators. Your emulator need to be observed and understanded by the most people as possible, we understand that this is YOUR work so we Respect you for that ! It's why I want to help you, I have no problem to work in private, I don't have a wow server and I don't want one, and I know that one day, when wow will be obsolete, I will have did my best to do the best emu as possible and I hope it will be released and people will see how that emulator is beautyfull !.

~Maulkin *Ok, sorry for my english, i'm french...*
10-06-2007, 10:49 PM (This post was last modified: 10-06-2007 10:53 PM by Nomad.)
Maulkin, I appreciate your interest and honor your wishes and may be I'd agree with ideas to show it to public if only I gave you RunWoW to study and distribute. But now we are talking about stolen thing. Stolen intellectual property that belongs to me and protected by international laws. And I just don't want my work to be stolen. Don't want it to be plundered by thousands admins that think only of money or their private servers, don't want it be distributed widely.
10-06-2007, 11:44 PM
I know... There is alot of people who ask for donations and do thousands and thousands of bucks each year with their server. I understand that, this is a Leak, yes (A beautyfull leak) but a release is a release, thousands of people already have it, we are not the only team to work on, and these people only think of money will win if we do nothing. I work on Runserver because for me it's the best opportunity to learn indirectly from an artist more than work on Burlex code or the mangos team one. I am not the only one,our team is developping to learn and understand how we can code something like that. These people who only think of money are nothing if we, the ones who want to learn and understand are already on the project with the coder who imaginated the code.

This is my point of view...
10-06-2007, 11:49 PM
I already told you - feel free to study, feel free to learn something new from it, make your own wow emu (or even not wow) looking at my code (of course without using licensed core). But I don't get people making leaked code available to public, don't get using years of my work for "popularity" in wow community, don't get developers that are proud to be a thieves.

That's my point of view and I think this is the end of discussion.
10-07-2007, 12:15 AM
Well, I'm sick of this crap, really. We are trying to help you out, all you can think of is how we want to ruin your work. Let me tell you something, You may, or may not know, but your "STOLEN" work is now spreaded EVERYWHERE across the net, and TALENTED people strive to make it better. Yes, there's a moral debate here, but then again, we are just trying to make this an educational, functional project. The work is not public at-all, as you can see.

And by the way, why wouldn't you tell us alittle more about the money you charge from people on your server? I'm really intrested to hear, how much does a player pay per month, don't have to answer that, but it's just a simple question i'd like to get an answer on.

[-]
Share/Bookmark (Show All)
Facebook Linkedin Technorati Twitter Digg MySpace Delicious

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Playable RunWoW? panky 3 1,452 01-18-2008 11:38 AM
Last Post: thePettyYeti
  RunWoW: Reborn Work In Progress Video DJRavine 12 2,195 11-22-2007 01:44 PM
Last Post: bigmanqqq