DJRavine's Codebook:

[ADVERTISEMENT]
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
[Server]Question's
02-23-2007, 03:20 PM (This post was last modified: 02-23-2007 03:34 PM by puddinlover.)
[Server]Question's
I have a few questions about building a server!

First of all i plan to build a server this sat out of liek 10 pc's Tongue (so i dont know any part's ect..)

1.How in the would do you set u pa RAID (more than one hard drive) i kmnow ther is 2 spots on a standard bus cable but what if i want more, and also what if my mian and 2nd hard drive have 2 differnt os's or the same os?

2.Is it possible to connect 2 mobo's (iam thinking hell no but you never know)

3.were should i go to learn over cloaking (i really really prefear a video site because iam a visual leanrer mainly)

4. Is it that more efficiant to run a server on linux? becuase i know all the HD's are gunn have all differnt Window's os's BUt i picked up a OLD version of linux cd awhile ago, anyway what is the best os to run a emu server on that is compatible with all emu stuff?

5.Is there any flippen way to add more ram if you have onyl a few slot's (I know I know sounds Dumb ass hell but I just have to know)

6.How would i go about runing one "server/realm" on multiple server's? Woudl it get more performance than running on jsut one?

7.What all sercurity mesuares should I take so no1 can hack my cuz's PC (i dont give two ****'s about pc) BUt iam hosting at his house because of the fact he has faster internet and i plan on using a remote thing to control the pc from my house... but anywho how do i stop people from touching HIS pc not so much server's (ya i care about that too)? I REALLY REALLY don't want something to go wrong with his family's pc they paid a **** laod for it and i'd be in trouble :0

8.I know i asked before and got some great answer's but jsut double chekcing (becuz iam OCD) what do you recommend so i can ocntrol the server @ a differnt house from my pc (for free)

9.What number is best perforamnce for client and server?
Code:
# Compression level for update packages sended to client (1..9)
# Default: 1 (speed)
#          9 (best compression)
Compression = 1

THANK YOU GUY'S SO MUCH (I might add more as I think of them)

I am a dyslexic Smile smilieSmile spammer!(I really am dyslexic so please excuse me when i type letters in words backwards)
Find all posts by this user
02-23-2007, 08:48 PM
[Server]Question's
lol, looks like an xmas listTongue

1: Raid:- Make sure it's enabled in the bios, and when your booting up your pc, jump into the raid configuration. "Will tell you what keyboard button to press to enter setup". Here you can setup your raid configuration.
I sugguest before you make any real changes in here, backup what you want kept on your hd "Hard drive".

In the raid bios setup, tell it what hd's you want raid to use, and what raid mode you want on them, use "Stripping" for now. You can just enable them, and thats that, but I sugguest you format it as your making changes to the boot record on the hd if your wanting raid, basicly if you want raid enabled, always be prepared to have to format your hd that will have the os on it, you wont have to format any slave on itWink
And to have multiple os's, simple make partitions on your hd via windows "Partition magic" seems to be peoples best choice for this".

2: I have no idea why you would want to connect 2 motherboards inside 1 computer case, your not looking at double performance.. but it's possible, yes. But I sugguest if you know anyone thats good with hardware to help you out on this, explaining on the forum wont help you, best someone does this for you..

3: Depending on what section of hardware you wish to overclock: cpu/ram/graphics but i've not found any video guides for cpu, but here is a video guide for tweaking a video card: http://www.overclock.net/gallery/showpho...22/cat/501
As for cpu/ram I sugguest you know what your doing, as it requires work in your bios, and you will have to have some form of safty mesure if you don't know what your doing "Floppy bootup disk with current bios file, and bios flashing program". You will find many sites on how todo this, check out the Link Bin section of the forums I made.

4: Running a wow server is better on Linux for 1 reason, uses hell of alot less resources than windows uses, and there are wow emu's out there that are running on linux right now "check RageZone for them" don't ask me for links, as I would have to look them up myself. But right just now you would get alot more support for problems with wow emulation if you used a windows oneWink

5: "Is there any flippen way to add more ram if you have onyl a few slot's (I know I know sounds Dumb ass hell but I just have to know)".
Im not 100% sure on what your menaing here, ram gets added by installing it into the ram dimm banks on your motherboard, having say 4gb on your motherboard would depends on dimm slots, and your bios. Check your motherboard manual or look it online to see how much ram it can support, example: this current board can only support 4gb, but my new one im getting can take up to 8gb. You also need to know what ram types there is too.
Rams: SD/DDR 400/DDR2 these 3 ram types will be what your dealing with on todays computers "yes, some people still use SD ram pc's..".

6: Im guessing your talking about having 1 server "say afg funpack" for example, but hosting the same files/accounts on different machines.
You would copy over all the server files "install mysql if need be on the other computers" then you would have to make no-ip accounts for each computer. Then simply tell people or use a frontend tool? to let people select your server from different pc's. I don't have alot of knowledge with multi realms, Ravine would be the best man to ask about this.. Sorry I can't help you out mor eon this matter.

7: Ok, first off: DO NOT have remote control of thier pc via yours if you are controling it from say your house.. this would not be a good idea at all..
It would be fine todo if you were on an network, but remotly doing it from a different location outside a network is a bad idea..
As for security, if they have a Router, then they are pretty much covered, but if you want to be extra safe then you could install a 3rd party firewall "software" for these my sugguestions are: Zonealarm "very good, sucks for networking" Outpost "not as secure as zone alarm, but very good over networks".

8: Like I said before above "DONT DO IT" for security reasons, I really and strongly sugguest you don't do this.. I know people that have done this, and have paid for it, in spades....

9: Leaving that on default is fine, you would rather have your server lag free anywaySmile

Anyway, this took a while to type up lol..
Hope I helped you out, or even made things more clearer to you.

Death awaits you..
[Image: sigug3.jpg]
[Image: wowps_admin.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-24-2007, 05:23 AM
[Server]Question's
Ty very much... This stinks noe iam gunan have ot go over to his house to do stuff to server Tongue

Any way about mobo and ram 1. basicly both questios are for same reason I want more ram slots ^^ like woundering if you can hook to mobos up to run more ram is main reason. Also yai know about ram type's ect... like i said jsut woundering if there's any way to add more ram after you ahve used up all the spots

I am a dyslexic Smile smilieSmile spammer!(I really am dyslexic so please excuse me when i type letters in words backwards)
02-24-2007, 08:43 AM
[Server]Question's
Like I said, just use UltraVNC to connect to his computer. That's what me and killerxx2 use.

[Image: 33.gif]

^ Click the image to shout in my SigBawx Big Grin ^
02-24-2007, 11:35 AM
[Server]Question's
well done ryu.. raising the bar once again...

[Image: DJRavine_userbar.gif]
[Image: djr_sig.png]
[Image: thedjravine.png]
"In a world of genocide... The pacifist must take control..." - DJRavine
02-24-2007, 02:48 PM
[Server]Question's
Yamachi Wrote:Like I said, just use UltraVNC to connect to his computer. That's what me and killerxx2 use.
Ok, because i wasted sure because ryu said dont use them :\

02-25-2007, 04:30 AM (This post was last modified: 02-25-2007 05:06 AM by »Yama«.)
[Server]Question's
Unless you can find a secure program, and make sure that you are both protected, then you CAN do it.

I never said you can't, I strongly sugguested you don'tWink
But if you have computer knowledge like yama does, then you will be fine, I just did not want you doing it and getting your friends computer or yours controled from other people.

puddinlover Wrote:Any way about mobo and ram 1. basicly both questios are for same reason I want more ram slots ^^ like woundering if you can hook to mobos up to run more ram is main reason. Also yai know about ram type's ect... like i said jsut woundering if there's any way to add more ram after you ahve used up all the spots

I would replace the motherboard.
754 boards "amd's older 64 cpu boards" as standard comes with 2 ram slots.
But you can find a mobo that will have 3 ram slots, like my current DFI Lanpart motherboard, it has 3 ddr 400 slotsSmile

But if you want plenty of ram, then you would be best going down the path of an 939 board, these ones can take up to 8gb ram.

But there are older Socket A "Amd athlon barton/semprons" boards that has more ram slots too, but these are SDrams, and you might find yourself splashing out on cash for these chips, and quite frankly you would be best buying a 939 mobo, and this way you will be able to work on the motherboard as you go along.

Have a look at ebay, under the mobo+cpu bundles, im sure you can pick up a good dealWink

Death awaits you..
02-25-2007, 05:06 AM
[Server]Question's
Well iam making it out of old pc part's i think there all intel :\ probelly all 2 slotter's too

(BTW I got a 4 slot DDR2 max ram is like 32gig's ^^)

ALSO would it be safer to jsut turn on "DMZ" hosting open al lthe **** i think or jsut open the ports needed?

Also what program's do you reccomend I think he has avg windows nortan and advest or w/e now any other's?

02-26-2007, 12:35 AM
[Server]Question's
Uhm..
"(BTW I got a 4 slot DDR2 max ram is like 32gig's ^^)"
Max Ram I know of right now is only 8gb support.

Im not understanding what your typing, can you be more clearer?

Death awaits you..
02-26-2007, 05:50 AM
[Server]Question's
Ryu Wrote:Uhm..
"(BTW I got a 4 slot DDR2 max ram is like 32gig's ^^)"
Max Ram I know of right now is only 8gb support.

Im not understanding what your typing, can you be more clearer?
What I ment is what i typed lmao... I have 4 slot's on my mobo for DDR-2 667 I belive i can support like 16 or 32 gig's .. (Here is some quick proof http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6813127020 )

02-26-2007, 11:07 PM
[Server]Question's
hey ryu.. most server boards these days support 32gb of ram..
8 slots of ram.. max 2gb in each slot.. pretty impressive..
but unless u really really need it.. the price would kill you..

02-27-2007, 01:27 PM
[Server]Question's
DJRavine Wrote:hey ryu.. most server boards these days support 32gb of ram..
8 slots of ram.. max 2gb in each slot.. pretty impressive..
but unless u really really need it.. the price would kill you..
For sure.(Acaully i seen 4GB per slot :0 and 4GB ram stick's)

02-27-2007, 09:56 PM
[Server]Question's
My bad Puddin.
After I sent my last post I jumped onto a few of my hardware sites, and noticed some of the newer server motherboards, and I was shocked.

Lastime I had looked 8gb was max, but thats just it with PC hardware, it's fast flowing, and new hardware gets made every dayWink

Speaking of which, im off todo minesSmile

Death awaits you..
02-28-2007, 04:53 AM (This post was last modified: 02-28-2007 06:22 AM by puddinlover.)
[Server]Question's
Ryu Wrote:My bad Puddin.
After I sent my last post I jumped onto a few of my hardware sites, and noticed some of the newer server motherboards, and I was shocked.

Lastime I had looked 8gb was max, but thats just it with PC hardware, it's fast flowing, and new hardware gets made every dayWink

Speaking of which, im off to do minesSmile
NP lol, we are here to learn, but anyway what hardware thing's are you doing?

EDITED:Also just wondering if 512 DDR (not sure of other specs) is high enough to run a server with about 5 people over internet?

02-28-2007, 08:12 AM
[Server]Question's
Well put it this way, my old server stats:

P3 1Ghz
256 SDram

Players online the server 9+
0 lagWink

So 512 is more than enough for 5 people.

Also, im building up my new pc, as i've just bought myself a new mobo/proc/gfx.

Death awaits you..
02-28-2007, 11:51 AM
[Server]Question's
kool!, and ty for input

02-28-2007, 09:12 PM
[Server]Question's
Question. If I am over a Network and I want to control a computer in my network from another computer. Do I still need to open ports? Cause I really hate opening the ports on my DLink router and then having to open them on the Linksys and always having to change the IP. Also you said UltraVCN would be good?
03-01-2007, 12:13 AM
[Server]Question's
If your able to see the other pc on the network, that will be fine.
Remote desktop should work just fine, as thats what im usingWink

Mainly because im too lazy to goto the other room for server work lol..

Death awaits you..
03-01-2007, 05:58 AM
[Server]Question's
the easiest way i have found to do remote admin'ing..
is sign up at http://logmein.com
and the posibliites are endless...

03-01-2007, 06:07 AM
[Server]Question's
How much does that cost?

03-01-2007, 07:00 AM
[Server]Question's
its free..
but the more features u want..
the more it costs..

but a its free for remote access

03-01-2007, 07:27 AM
[Server]Question's
Can i liek see the person's desktop ect.. and start ****ing with files Tongue?

03-02-2007, 08:24 PM
[Server]Question's
you have full pc access..
you can copy + paste stuff...
install programs...

anything you could do while actually sitting infront of the pc....
test it out. i was very impressed by it...

06-17-2007, 07:57 PM
[Server]Question's
He must of got things sorted out, closed and left for others to see.

Death awaits you..
Thread Closed 

[-]
Share/Bookmark (Show All)
Facebook Linkedin Technorati Twitter Digg MySpace Delicious

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Server instantly shuts down alexanderjd 14 2,827 09-13-2007 07:29 PM
Last Post: cmite